Wednesday, August 24, 2016

30 Days No Alcohol Challenge: Days 12-16 - HALF WAY!

Jessa Younker rock climbing at Monitor Rock and Whirlpool Rock, Independence Pass, Aspen, Colorado.
The climb may be tough but the view
from the top is worth it. 


This is an ongoing blog that covers my entire journey on my 30 Days No Alcohol Challenge. Check out Days 9 - 11 HERE if you missed my last post. Enjoy!

August 19 - 23, 2016 - Days 12-16
Day 12 - Beach Cardio Fun! 

Somene once said the level you rise to depends on your willingness to climb. Attaining a goal is not always easy. In fact, goals are usually quite challenging. The road to achieve a goal is paved with obstacles, by nature. I believ there are two types of people in th world. The ones that are discouraged by challenges and the ones who are fired up to rise to a challenge. I like to think that I am the latter of the two. It has been quite an interesting couple of weeks on this challenge. I think I am learning more about myself in the last couple weeks than I have in the last couple years. Since I removed alcohol from my diet I have seen it translate directly into successes in my everyday life. My energy, my choices and my focus just for starters, have seen an immediate effect. I have begun so many new things in the last week I have barely had to time to write my blogs. I apologize it has taken so long to get the latest updates posted. I have been running around figuratively and quite literally. I started jogging again, I started volunteering again, I started writing again, and I decided to learn a new trade so I signed up for and began Information Techonologies school this week. I have my drive back. That fire that makes me who I am has been reignited with this challenge. I believe somewhere along the way I had lost sight of who I am. When you have spent most of your adult life as the healthy, strong woman who is in control of her life then find yourself lacking dorection it can really alter your self esteem and self worth. My moods have been interesting. Mostly extremely high energy but I am human. I had a low day in there somewhere but that didn't last for long. I just metaphorically slapped myself in the face and got out to go get a workout. It really does come down to a simple choice: What do I want to be? A whiner or a winner? Winner won.


I am getting back to the things that make me who I am. These characteristics that have been developing since I was a child, the very foundation on which I built myself is still in tact and I am rebuilding. There is nothing wring with renovating yourself. I'm fortunate to have self awareness enough to notice a pattern of negative behavior and make changes on my own. Most people are not so lucky. Finding the root of the problem behavior really has been the best way to reprogram and cope. The first thing I knew I had to do was remove a repetitive behavior and clear my life of toxins. Initially, I began this challenge to feel better physically. I had no idea that it was going to transform me emotionally and spiritually, especially not to this degree. I know I am only in the second week of the 4 week challenge. I'm remaining realistic about the process and I still have no idea if I am doing this for just the 30 days or if I will extend and make this a longer challenge. At this point, I am just going to ride the wave and continue to learn about myself and how I process pain and disappointment, anger, sadness, loneliness, etc. I know for a fact, I do not ever want to drink when I am feeling any of these emotions ever again. A celebritory drink here and there is not problematic.  A few beers watching a game or hanging with friends is not a problem. That is the way it should be.

I am back to doing the things that I love to do that I had gotten away from over the past couple years.
Day 14 - Volunteering for Local Urban Garden
I am really having the time of my life getting back in touch with my inner self. I have been volunteering, gardening, reading more often, organizing, beaching, cooking, writing and the list goes on. I had almost forgotten how much I love to dance, sing and write music. It is a pretty great feeling when you rediscover something about yourself and put a smile on your own face. I found a website that connects volunteers to projects in need and committed myself to 3 new organizations this past week. I rediscovered that I have always wanted to grow herbs and vegetable for cooking at home so I started growing basil and peppers this week. I think the biggest decision I made this week has been to go to IT school and learn a trade that allows me to work from anywhere in the world in a secure market. There is a program offered to military veterans (which I am) that just landed in my lap. I think if  this had happened before I started this challenge I would have discouraged myself from doing it because I didn't believe in myself as much as I do today, just two weeks later. That is a ridiculously amazing thing to be able to say. The impact of this challenge is much greater than I could have imagined it would be in my life. How's that for cause and effect? All it takes is one match to light a fire.

Day 15 - Book and Beach after Cardio Workout
I wish I could write a longer post but I don't have much time. I just wanted to take a moment to update my journey before I have to run off to class. Since, I don't have a lot of time with all the new amazing things I have added back into my life I just gave you a photo tour of my last few days on this challenge throughout the blog post. It has been so much fun spending time with myself and rebuilding a strong and healthy relationship with myself. If you have been thinking that it is time to remove alcohol from your diet, even for just a short time, I highly recommend doing it. Commit to yourself. Commit to your health. I promise you that is is worth it. Maybe it isn't forever but for right now, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Until we meet again.....



No comments:

Post a Comment